Thursday, January 4, 2007

Kids Aren't Always So Bright

Lest I be accused of looking at the non-adult population through rose-colored lenses, let me be the first to admit that sometimes, individual kids can be really, really dumb! I'm sure this doesn't come as a surprise to many of us, hell, most of us were dumb(er) kids once, but we survived into adulthood -- and so will most kids.

I heard somewhere that most parents' biggest fear isn't that their kids will do the same stupid things they did when they were their kids' age, but that their kids won't be as lucky as they were and get away with it. I think that's fair, albeit somewhat misguided, as most people escape their childhood with relatively few scrapes, legal or otherwise.

While surfing youth-related news stories (Google News Alerts is dope, btw!) I came across this little gem about a 15 year old girl who got arrested 'cause she wouldn't stop yelling at the cops who were apparently at the school to investigate another incident. Now maybe the full story isn't being reported here, but if there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's keep your fucking mouth shut when the cops are around, especially if they're not interested in you!

I mean, this girl was warned numerous times to just go away but she wouldn't stop!

Money quote:
Officer Tracey informed the juvenile that if she couldn’t calm down, she would be arrested.

The juvenile continued to yell profanities, police said. After multiple attempts to calm the juvenile down, officers Tracey and Hardy, who had to leave the other incident to assist, tried to put the juvenile in handcuffs. She allegedly pulled away and spit at Officer Tracey. She was arrested and brought back to the police station where she continued to yell and threatened to spit in the officer’s face.

Now maybe the guy the cops were looking at initially was this girl's baby daddy, or maybe just her boyfriend, but damn, now you're under arrest. I hope the emotional satisfaction she got from spitting at the cops was worth the trouble of getting arrested. My hunch is, it wasn't.

2 comments:

small-d said...

I trust she was beaten thoroughly.

D. Stephen Goldman said...

If not by the cops, then hopefully by her friends once she got out. How can you be so dumb?

But I guess if there were no stupid kids, where would we get dumb adults from?