Friday, January 12, 2007

The Danger of Police Dogs

I think dogs working for law enforcement agencies are being abused and someone should call PETA. I'm half-kidding, of course, although I did see a great piece on 60 Minutes some years ago about the disturbing lack of qualifications and standardized testing drug-sniffing dogs undergo before their "testimony" is used to lock up suspected offenders for years at a time.

But that's not the worst of it. Some poor kid in New Zealand is facing amputation because of the injuries he's received as a result of a bite from a police dog. I know McGruff said, "Take a bite out of crime" but damn!

1 comment:

small-d said...

"Tristan Abraham, 17, of the North Island city of Palmerston North, had been released on bail for burglary, theft and driving charges."

Seems pretty straightforward to me: the kid was a criminal, so the dog took a bite out of him. There's your bite out of crime. Give Cujo a promotion.