Wednesday, February 7, 2007

This is getting to be Re-Goddamn-Diculous!

Here's hoping someone up in Albany has some friggin' sense! If not, I'm going to be racking up the tickets...

Ban Proposed On Cell Phones, iPods In Crosswalk

Ban Would Apply To Cell Phones, MP3 players, Blackberrys

A state senator from Brooklyn said on Tuesday he plans to introduce legislation that would ban people from using an MP3 player, cell phone, Blackberry or any other electronic device while crossing the street in either New York City or Buffalo.

NewsChannel 4 reported that Sen. Carl Kruger is proposing the ban in response to two recent pedestrian deaths in his district, including a 23-year-old man who was struck and killed last month while listening to his iPod on Avenue T and East 71st Street In Bergen Beach.

"While people are tuning into their iPods and cell phones, they're tuning out the world around them," Kruger said. The proposed law would make talking on cell phones while crossing the street a comparable offense to jaywalking.

Some pedestrians said they were not worried about their safety while using their electronic devices while walking.

"I look for the light," said Venus Montes of Williamsburg.

"I'm still looking," said Lance Gordon of Far Rockaway. "It's not like I'm not paying attention."

Others said the proposed ban would not work.

"I don't think anyone's going to be up for this," said Patricia Lewis of Staten Island. "I don't think anyone wants this."

Other pedestrians said they thought the proposal was a good idea.

"It's too dangerous," said Nicole Lake of Jersey City. "Drivers don't pay attention and pedestrians don't pay attention."

###

Arrghhh...Nicole Lake of Jersey City, you must be one of those types of people who annoy the hell out of my friend on the PATH trains. Can we have some individual responsibility in 21st century America, please?

So while I'm complaining, let me give props to the other 3 people quoted in this piece, all New Yorkers, who show enough common sense not to get run over when they're listening to their ipods! Good grief!

3 comments:

Joe Grossberg said...

Ho yes ... so I heard you told me to start blogging again and then you scoop me!

D. Stephen Goldman said...

It's either this or talk about some stupid astronaut or Nancy Pelosi's plane. 24/7 media and this is the best we can do!

small-d said...

The astronaut wore diapers. Diapers! So she wouldn't have to stop on the way to stalking her rival. Crazy self-soiling bitch. I knew we were blasting our crap into space but this is ridiculous.